Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Why Can't Parents Behave?

You would think that as a grown adult that my parents wouldn’t get to me.
You would think.
But, no.
When I started this blog and named myself “Sassy in Seattle,” I thought it was clear the sassy part meant I have somewhat of an edge. Kind of badass. You know what I’m sayin’?
Isn’t it obvious that I’m not for the weary of heart?
Leave it to one’s parents (mine in this instance) to reprimand you for something you write about in your blog.
When we exiled my parents to Whidbey Island last summer, you would think there would be enough shenanigans going on on that island to keep them busy for the rest of their lives. But, no. They have to worm their way into my blog.
Hey, while I think it’s great that my elderly parents (you hear that Mom and Dad, I’m threatening you by calling you elderly?) read my blog, what I write about isn’t up for discussion, unless it’s a compliment. My ego just can’t take it. I should have made that clear from the beginning.
Yesterday I was in a fine mood. Great, in fact. I’d just found out I’d won a trip to Whistler, British Columbia and decided to share the news with good old Mom & Dad.
Dad answers the phone and semi-grumpily says hello and then wastes no time getting right to the point – that he didn’t like one of my blog posts.
“What?” I said. “Yeah,” he said, “I thought you were kind of mean.” What the heck was he talking about? He said that he thought I was mean to the guy in the bar that I accused of being gay. Why didn’t I just leave him alone, he said. “Why did you have to pick on him?” Excuse me, but when did my father become the defendant of seemingly closeted gay men? “You don’t understand” I said. “Oh, I know all about the gays” he said. “I’ve been around them for years,” he said, like that was supposed to make me feel better.
Then my mother gets on the phone. “Hello dearie,” she says in her super-duper British accent. “Hi, ” I said. “Dad’s been telling me how he didn’t like my blog post.” She didn’t even try and fluff it off. She agreed with him! So, she thinks I’m a meanie, too.
The nerve!
Remember how I mentioned they’re on an island? We should have put them on separate islands, with the two of them agreeing with each other! You do something nice for your elderly parents and they turn against you.
I suppose my parents have a right to their opinion, but they’re living in island paradise. First off, they’ve been married to each other forever. They have no idea what it’s like in the brutal, dating world.
What’s a girl to do?
Only what a sassy girl can do. I’m sticking to my guns. While I’ll still have a tough exterior, I just may have to give little gay guy a peck on the cheek (thanks for the guilt M & D) should he ever again cross my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment