My friend Navjit just launched her fabulous new website, and her new company Tenderlogic and she is offering a challenge which also happens to be a contest. If you know me well, you know how I love a contest. But that isn't why I'm entering. I'm entering because one of her questions spoke to me. And it didn't speak to me in a friendly sort of way. In fact, it haunted me.
The question is this: What habit or behavior is blocking you from your higher self?
Initially, I thought I'd answer the easy question: Do you think you're funny? Well, of course I'm funny. I'm sure if I decided to put the time and energy into answering that question I could have come up with something hilarious. Heck, I could have even written a new knock-knock joke, the likes that no one has ever heard before and know that my dear friend Navjit would be roaring with laughter. While I do enjoy making people laugh, (and who wouldn't want to make Navjit laugh?), that would have been the easy answer and honestly, the thought of answering that question didn't make me feel funny at all. Had I decided to answer that question, it probably would have had some ego attached to it.
So, instead, I'm choosing to answer the difficult question. The one I don't want to look at. It surrounds an issue that gnaws at me on a regular basis, weekly in fact. I enjoy writing down goals each week, more specifically the things I've accomplished after I accomplish them. Each Sunday starts a new week. I'm a doer. But not in the area I'm having trouble with. That area is exercise.
If I could only just get my butt to the gym!
I have a membership at a swank club and each week I imagine that I'll go there, take a yoga class, go for a swim, maybe even take a zumba class.
But I don't go. I have gone to the Saturday yoga class before, but it's been months and it's been even longer since I've gone during the week after work. I've thought about canceling my membership, but I don't want to. I don't want to give up on myself. The thing is, I know that if I just show up that the exercise part will take care of itself. It will happen because I'm there. That I know. However, getting myself to the gym is the tricky thing. And because I live in the Pacific Northwest where it rains 10 months out of the year, a gym membership is a great thing to have because of the weather.
If I could just get there once a week I'd be ahead of the game. Three times a week and I'd be ecstatic. Five, and....oh!!! Stop! Let's not put the cart before the horse. See, I can easily work myself up about my fantasy workouts and get excited just by thinking about them. While I'm sure if a trainer showed up at my house every day and forced me to exercise I wouldn't like it. In fact, I'd probably resent it. I want the freedom to choose when and how to work out. I just need help getting there. Getting to the gym that is, and just getting started. It's not like I don't exercise at all. I do. Sunday mornings I walk with friends along the Burke-Gilman trail, no matter what the weather, and then take a yoga class. On Saturdays sometimes I'll hike. What I want to do, is not let my gym membership go to waste.
No comments:
Post a Comment